Welcome!

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Share and discuss the best content and new marketing ideas, build your professional profile and become a better marketer together.

Aidan Gray

--Aidan Gray--
| 5 3 6
Washington, DC, United States
--Aidan Gray--

IATSE Local 600 Camera Assistant | Washington, DC - Baltimore, MD - New York, NY

Cmotion cPro System Owner 1x cPro Motor, 2x cForce Mini Motors, Teradek Bolt 1000XT 1:1, Teradek SidekickLT, SmallHD 703Bolt, SmallHD 703U, SmallHD 1703-P3X, Bright Tangerine 19mm Bridgeplate, BT Revolvr 19/15mm Studio FF, SolidCamera Scatterbox2 Goldmount/VMount Power Distro, IgniteDigi MoVi Pro System

Aidan Gray
On 5/29/19, 9:02 PM

I'm really excited to get my hands on it - I think Preston is doing a smart play and leaning heavily into both the Lightranger and studio-style & large format shoots, where you're mounting your hand unit to a monitor stand, not mounting a monitor to your hand unit. I think its a smart play because its separating them a bit from people like cmotion and RTMotion who are going the more versatile route. I think the big shortcomings of the system are going to be the cluttered UI, which-just from the F&D article already looks to be a bit of a mess. If they can improve the UI with some early user feedback, I'm excited to see how they further implement camera control. Its a good thing that all major manufacturers are moving towards that - its also impressive how fast everyone has responded to focus pullers being moved further away from the menu of the camera. Of the Preston users I've talked to, they're all most worried about the ergonomics of the system (like not being able to remove the zoom controller to save weight/bulk) and the build of the system, although I'm sure the latter will be fine with Preston's history.

I'll get hands on it this weekend and report back! 

Your Reply

Carlos Cañal

--Carlos Cañal--
--Carlos Cañal--

My name is Carlos Cañal and I am a Spanish focus puller working in the camera department since I am 19 years old.  I do mainly national and international features films and commercials.  I love to travel, get to know other people, cultures and of course colleagues from around the world.

I am a very happy owner of a cPRO LCS too !!

🎥😊

Carlos Cañal
On 5/31/19, 9:34 AM

Aidan, let us know your thoughts after trying it at Cinegear!  Looking forward to get my hands on it.

I am pretty sure It is a great new handunit and also very happy that It seems cameras manufacturers are willing to give the different LCS brands camera control.

Thumbs up!

Your Reply

Ian L Axilrod
On 10/19/19, 7:40 PM

More excited for the light ranger W...

Your Reply

ERIC UGLAND
On 6/3/19, 6:32 PM

I checked it out at cinegear. My impressions:

-obviously based the design off the wcu

-screen refresh rate is super fast, better than wcu

-screen seemed bright enough for daylight use.

-ui is somewhat of an eyesore but not hard to use

-has better integration with the lightranger than hu3

-buttons have a nice click and feel durable

-its lighter than hu3, but way larger

-ergonomics are generally terrible, giant grip and poor balance. It's just so wide. If there's one thing they didn't copy from arri it was comfort. (I have large hands, will be worse for those with small hands)

-no backlit knob, focus mark still non illuminated

-still requires a dongle for loading stored lens files over Bluetooth, Bluetooth not built in and lens files cannot be transferred over the USB port. 

-still only allows you to map 10 marks and will interpolate everything inbetween (this is probably my biggest disappointment in the whole system, I should be able to map every single mark that is on a lens.)

-does have Iris and zoom mapping 

-capable of camera control, but I highly doubt arri will allow that for any of their cameras. (didn't arri take legal action over tilta's wcu inspired 3 channel system a few years ago?)

-unsure of durability of such a large screen

Your Reply

Andy Sydney
On 5/29/19, 7:51 PM

https://www.fdtimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/95FDT2.03-Preston-HU4.pdf

It seems to have camera control for Sony Venice right out of the box. Still waiting for that capability for cPro...hopefully cMotion will also announce at CineGear.

Other thoughts, having not seen yet in person, it seems bulkier than cPro - both wider and heavier but the large display screen is a great upgrade from HU3.

For any user who is upgrading from HU3, it looks like your old focus scale rings will still fit.

Lastly, I'm not sure where you grab onto it?

Your Reply

Keep Informed

About This Community

This thread is for Preston related topics. Share your questions, ideas, problems and help out other people within the community. Read Guidelines

Question tools

7 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 5/29/19, 3:55 AM
Seen: 591 times
Last updated: 10/19/19, 7:40 PM