Welcome!

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Share and discuss the best content and new marketing ideas, build your professional profile and become a better marketer together.

Aidan Gray

--Aidan Gray--
| 5 3 6
Washington, DC, United States
--Aidan Gray--

IATSE Local 600 Camera Assistant | Washington, DC - Baltimore, MD - New York, NY

Cmotion cPro System Owner | 1x cPro FIZ Hand Unit, 1x cPro ONE Hand Unit, 1x cPro Camin1x cPro Motor, 2x cForce Mini Motors

Cmotion SteadyZoom

Cmotion CineFade

OTHER | Technovision MK3 Mitchell Geared Head, Magliner Junior Camera Cart, Yaeger Pro Senior Camera Cart, Teradek Bolt 1000XT 1:1, Teradek SidekickLT, SmallHD 703Bolt, SmallHD 703U, SmallHD 1703-P3X, CAS Advanced Spider Grips, Bright Tangerine 19mm Bridgeplate, BT Revolvr 19/15mm Studio FF, SolidCamera Scatterbox2 Goldmount/VMount Power Distro, IgniteDigi MoVi Pro System

Aidan Gray
On 3/19/20, 3:31 PM

Just prematurely wrapped a pilot with Ian Axilrod, who is also on here, and our rule of thumb was basically LR2-W for everything 40mm and wider (Alexa Mini LF OG) and LR2 for everything tighter than 40mm. Its a bit annoying to swap sensors but was way less of a deal than I thought it would be. We kept them in a little blue pelican on the top of the camera cart and it was pretty simple to just walk over, put the old one back and pick the new one up. 

Another thing we did for this pilot (which I know you've seen) is we MSLA 3D-printed mattes for the RX region of the LiDAR arrays to help minimize incorrect readings due to atmosphere. We never really got around to getting to test them in a truly hazy room, but they certainly didn't hurt. Alana at PCS mentioned the LR2-W and LR2-M being laser-based vs the LED-based M16 board in the LR2 so any incorrect readings on the former are more likely to be fixed from software improvements than from any physical masking (really hard to mask a laser...). I'm not really educated in LiDAR and the limitations/advantages of the tech, but its just something to think about if/when you pick up an LR2-W and have issues with accuracy in atmosphere. 

And lastly, because I'm not sure a lot of people know about it, you can read up on the specs of the OEM LiDAR modules inside the LightRanger devices at this link. They;re manufactured by LeddarTech and I believe the LR2 is the M16D-75B0007, the LR2-W is the M16R-75J0001, and the new LR2-W is M16R-75J0003. The biggest shock to me is that this site states the read-out accuracy is rated to 6.25hz which is... slow.

Your Reply

Chris Steel
On 3/18/20, 1:19 PM

I've been looking at the LR2 for a while now. Trying to weigh up what would work for me. I got a good hands on with it at BSC this year and really liked both the W and the M.

I feel the LR2M is a nice improvement. Better range, slightly wider FOV, much lighter and smaller. The W really feels like a special use case.

As a choice between the two I'd want the one with more reach for long lenses where focus is super critical. Then Hire in the W for jobs which will mostly be on wides or anamorphic LF

Your Reply

Keep Informed

About This Community

This thread is for Preston related topics. Share your questions, ideas, problems and help out other people within the community. Read Guidelines

Question tools

9 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 3/16/20, 12:22 PM
Seen: 129 times
Last updated: 3/19/20, 3:31 PM