Welcome!

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Share and discuss the best content and new marketing ideas, build your professional profile and become a better marketer together.

Aidan Gray

--Aidan Gray--
| 5 3 6
Washington, DC, United States
--Aidan Gray--

IATSE Local 600 Camera Assistant | Washington, DC - Baltimore, MD - New York, NY

Cmotion cPro System Owner 1x cPro Motor, 2x cForce Mini Motors, Teradek Bolt 1000XT 1:1, Teradek SidekickLT, SmallHD 703Bolt, SmallHD 703U, SmallHD 1703-P3X, Bright Tangerine 19mm Bridgeplate, BT Revolvr 19/15mm Studio FF, SolidCamera Scatterbox2 Goldmount/VMount Power Distro, IgniteDigi MoVi Pro System

Aidan Gray
On 11/26/19, 5:58 AM

Hey Klim, 

So this is a great question! A lot of people are very curious about cvision, as they should be - it’s an incredible technology and there are a lot of really good applications of it, especially in our field. I’ve gotten to use both and have a beta cvision on loan from cmotion currently - the biggest differences besides the fact that they use two different techs is that the LightRanger is a finished product and cvision is still very much in development. Right now is the best time to go take a look at a trade show and let the dev team know your thoughts - we’ve all made them aware that it has the potential to be the biggest game changer they’ve made but it’s all about the implementation, RF capability, and the UI at this point. The measurements are currently perfect and on the handful of jobs I’ve used it, I’ve used it more as a tape measure/CineTape than a device to pull focus from. Right now, it’s missing onscreen lens data and some sort of overlay onto your image, which is where the Preston and LightRanger combo shine. I’ve been told they’re working on that which would be huge. That said, I used the Cvision for a week on an Arricam ST commercial shoot and the way we shot it, I don’t think I would’ve been able to pull it off without cvision. LightRanger uses the image from the camera and displays bars over it, but the bars have a very slight delay and sample relatively slowly, so you’re still really relying on the image out of the camera in tandem with the bars from the LIDAR array (which I actually like). With the cvision, it’s a separate stereoscopic camera system so it’s entirely separate from what the camera sees, or in this case the videotap. To have a stand-alone image that was displaying my depth of field and focus plane was incredible, especially when we were doing handheld stuff on an 85mm T2.0 just walking around without rehearsals while shooting film - you can’t do that, but I managed with cvision. This is a super specific use case, but just kindof an example of the technology differences between the systems... Like I said, I think it’s important to go see the system in person and spend at least 30-45 minutes using it and make sure to let the cmotion team know your thoughts and what you want to be put into the product - it’s very important they hear from as many focus pullers as possible... And that’s not just because I don’t like to be the squeaky wheel 😬