PIMP MY VAN! Camera edition
on 5/15/19, 1:40 PM • 343 views
We all know transporting gear from A to B has to be easy and comfortable. So most of us have a van of some sort for this.
What van do you use and how did you set it up? Any tips or advice for us fellow camera-technicians?
I'll start the thread with taking a closer look at my van and explaining what I've done.
This is my 4th van and this time I really wanted something that would make the job easier. So I bought myself a Mercedes-Vito 2019 and customized the cargo area completely. Note: for the more bigger productions I would use the van from the rental company due to space and more gear.
• I have installed 4 shelfs that are collapsable for when I don't need it
• Everything is "paneled" to protect the car from dents and scratches
• cargo rails on the floor and side wall for securing my cart and other heavy items with ratched straps
• aluminium bar for guiding carts when loading/unloading
• For real "off the grid - no power on set" I use the GoalZero Yeti 1400 batterypack: it's large enough the stay off grid for about 10-12 hours, charging batteries and DIT stuff. Charging from 0 to 100 only takes 4,5hrs.
•I mounted a power adaptor that is connected into my rear bumper, so I don't have to keep the lid open.
The nice thing is, is that the GoalZero Yeti can be charged through solar power, as I didn't wanted to bolt any panels on my roof, I carry a 100Watt solar panel that I use when we stay put on location for some time. 100Watt is not that much, but it's nice to have some "clean" energy.
•For safety purposes I have a front and back dashcam that is recording 24/7 due to a external battery-pack. (Don't try to mess with my stuff :-)
• Two heavy duty yet lightweight loading ramps
So, how do you guys travel and transport your gear? Show us your set-up or your "dream van"!