Welcome!

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Share and discuss the best content and new marketing ideas, build your professional profile and become a better marketer together.

Philipp Uhl
On 11/23/19, 6:52 PM

I also use the Arri Outdoor Antenna on the monitor, and on the handunit I use the cmotion mini antenna, because with it the handunit is rugged enough to be put into the case without removing the antenna.

I was told by Clemens that I will lose about 20% of the range with the mini antenna (if I remember that right - maybe Clemens will correct me here?), so I carried the longer standard antennas to set as well, just in case, but I never had any range problems at all with my cPro.

Your Reply

ERIC UGLAND
On 12/5/19, 7:50 PM

I too am using the mini antenna, and have been having great results. It is much more compact and out of the way. I keep the longer antennas in the kit just in case I end up in a long range situation, but it hasn't been a problem yet. My buddy just used my Cpro on a car job, and said they had zero dropouts while using the short antenna. 

Your Reply

Clemens Hönig

--Clemens Hönig--

| 5 2 6
Vienna, Austria
--Clemens Hönig--

Hi, I am Clemens Hönig, marketing manager at cmotion. Even though I am not a focus puller myself, my strength is to adapt quickly, spotting problems and come up with solutions. I also like to connect people, as I think everybody can learn from anybody. If you just starting at your carrier, make your own path and if you are already experienced, become a mentor...

Clemens Hönig
On 11/21/19, 8:12 AM

So just as an intro: The cPRO is only certified with the standard antenna, which comes with the system.

That being said, any antenna, within the same frequency 2.4 GHz and SMR-reverse connector would work. You can get loads of antennas on Alibaba. However, please note, that you will lose around 1/3 to 1/2 of range with those antennas. If you wanna go bigger, please note, that in most countries the maximum legal output is 2db. 

What I would recommend if you are searching for optimization: On the motor side, you can have the ARRI outdoor antenna, and on the hand unit, you can use NiteIze gear tie and wrap it around the antenna and the cPRO monitor mount. This makes the whole unit super robust and compact.

Finally, I think Aidan Gray is preparing a write up about RF and antennas and we will also do some posts about that soon.

Your Reply

Arvid
On 11/22/19, 9:39 PM

I'm using the arri outdoor antenna on the Cpro motor and the standard antenna on the handunit.

The Outdoor antenna works great on the motor and makes a more tighter build. For me the standard antenna kept loosening from the motor.

For the handunit I find the normal antenna working great and being able to optimize its angle can give me better range and connection in tight thick walled locations. I have no science data to back this up and it might be my imagination but hopefully someone else can confirm this.

The length of the standard antenna makes me think it actually is a 5.8GHz antenna and a part of me is suspecting the radio unit in the Cpro could be dual band (both 2.4 and 5.8GHz like you can find on most routers) for future upgrades and accessories. But that is a wild speculation and someone will probably debunk it :) :) :) :)

Your Reply

Aidan Gray

--Aidan Gray--
| 5 3 6
Washington, DC, United States
--Aidan Gray--

IATSE Local 600 Camera Assistant | Washington, DC - Baltimore, MD - New York, NY

Cmotion cPro System Owner 1x cPro Motor, 2x cForce Mini Motors, Teradek Bolt 1000XT 1:1, Teradek SidekickLT, SmallHD 703Bolt, SmallHD 703U, SmallHD 1703-P3X, Bright Tangerine 19mm Bridgeplate, BT Revolvr 19/15mm Studio FF, SolidCamera Scatterbox2 Goldmount/VMount Power Distro, IgniteDigi MoVi Pro System

Aidan Gray
On 11/26/19, 5:54 AM

I can do the debunking later with my RF meter, but for the time being... Cmotion lists the frequencies that the cPro system runs on in the manual! 

Your Reply

Arvid
On 12/3/19, 3:21 PM

My wild theory is that the Cpro has a dual band radio unit that right now only uses the 2.4Ghz band and the 5.8Ghz band can be activated in future software updates and thats why they fitted it with a longer what looks to me like a 5.8Ghz antenna. But that is me wearing a tin foil hat speculating :)

It is my understanding that 5.8Ghz antennas work on 2.4Ghz units with a possible small performance loss. But 2.4Ghz antennas do not work on 5.8Ghz units.

But I'm here to learn so I would be thankfull if you shared your knowledge! :) :)

Your Reply

Aidan Gray

--Aidan Gray--
| 5 3 6
Washington, DC, United States
--Aidan Gray--

IATSE Local 600 Camera Assistant | Washington, DC - Baltimore, MD - New York, NY

Cmotion cPro System Owner 1x cPro Motor, 2x cForce Mini Motors, Teradek Bolt 1000XT 1:1, Teradek SidekickLT, SmallHD 703Bolt, SmallHD 703U, SmallHD 1703-P3X, Bright Tangerine 19mm Bridgeplate, BT Revolvr 19/15mm Studio FF, SolidCamera Scatterbox2 Goldmount/VMount Power Distro, IgniteDigi MoVi Pro System

Aidan Gray
On 11/21/19, 8:20 PM

I have the standard cPro antenna on the hand unit and it hasn't failed me - like Clemens said, I have mine tied to the monitor bracket and I've yet to break it (and honestly, I don't even take it off when I put it in the case anymore). On my motor, I have the ARRI Outdoor antenna from the cforce RF motor, but I really just adopted that for looks and rigidity.